Friday, May 18, 2012

Going on a Costa cruise . . .
and I’m not scared


Friday, May 4
Some people have asked me if we had any fears about this trip, since it was a Costa ship, captained by Francesco Schettino, that famously foundered just off the island of Giglio in January, killing 32 people. We passed Giglio on our first day, but not surprisingly, we didn’t come very close.

If you haven’t read the accounts of that accident, you may not understand the following story, which I found by googling “captain schettino jokes.” It’s probably in poor taste to joke about such a tragedy, but I can’t resist repeating this account of a last-minute announcement made by the captain:  “This is Captain Schettino speaking on behalf of my crew. I’d like to welcome you aboard Costa Concordia from Rome.  We are currently crossing the Mediterranean Sea by Giglio Island. If you look out of the windows on the starboard side, you will observe a gaping hole. If you look out of the windows on the port side, you will observe that the ship is listing badly. If you look down towards the Mediterranean Sea, you will see a little yellow life raft with three people in it, waving at you. That’s me, Captain Schettino , the co-pilot, and my personal attendant. Arrivederci!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.