Tuesday, May 25, 2021

I must see the contract I supposedly signed to fight my identity theft

For the record, here is my latest letter to Simecom in response to the recent letter from one of the company's attorneys.

Egregio Dotoressa Mizrahil,

Thank you so much for responding, and it was especially kind of you to write in English as well. If it is easier, you may write to me in Italian, as I am much better at reading Italian than I am at speaking or writing. And of course, I can always get help from Google translate.

I also must tell you that it is difficult for me to refute your claims because I have not seen the contract you speak of. In fact, since I have never received a letter from Simecom, I have no idea why you believe I owe the company anything.  Could you please provide me with a copy of the said contract and any letters you have tried to send me? I would also like to see a copy of the document of identity that the person who took out the contract provided, if one was required. I understand that Simecom may have tried to contact me at my Montecarlo address, but I have been away from Italy for almost two years and have received no communication except an email notice from my bank that you have filed an Atto di Pignoramento against my account. I also do not have an Italian phone number.

I am not surprised by your answer, but I must appeal to your common sense and humanity. I believe that if you research my history, you can see I am not a “furbo.” If I was, why would I take out a contract in my own name, when it is especially easy to find me. In many ways, my life is an open book. In fact, I have written both a book and a blog about my experiences in Italy, so it is plain to see I have nothing to hide. You can even look at my blog and see when I am in Italy and when I am in the United States.

You say that the contract “should have been disclaimed.” Good point, but it is hard to disclaim something that I have not seen and only recently been made aware of. I will point out that when someone bought and sold cars in Roma using my name fraudulently, I did file a denuncia with the Carabiniere in Altopascio, Lucca (see attachment). I will gladly do the same with the contract you speak of the next time I am in Lucca, if you would be so good as to provide me a copy.

I realize that you may wish to use my lack of presence in Italy and mediocre skills in Italian against me. You represent your clients, and you want to be successful, both for your sake and that of the company. You may see me as easy prey. However, I am not so cynical to believe that you and the officials of Simecom are uncaring and without conscience. My grandparents and parents, citizens of Italy but living in the United States, taught me to love Italy and Italian culture. I have had nothing but the best of experiences in Italy, which is why I am trying to learn Italian and hope to divide the remaining years of my life between the United States and Montecarlo, the birthplace of my ancestors.

You point out that I have given “no proof of ‘furto d’identità’.” What kind of evidence would you accept? I would be happy to provide a letter from a handwriting expert to compare my signature with the one on the contract. I can also provide evidence of my whereabouts during the time period of the contract (assuming that you provide me with a copy of the contract and that it lists the dates in question). Without further information, I do not know what proof to provide.

I wish to make one final point. I have no training as a lawyer, nor do I wish to hire a lawyer. However, I do have training as a journalist and author. If you wish to persist in your legal strategy, I will use all my experience as a journalist to bring your actions into public view. I will start with my blog, which has had more than 500,000 page views in the last 10 years. From there, I will contact newspapers in Italy with my story. Some of them will respond, some will not. Lastly, I have written one book already about my experiences in Italy, and I have already started the sequel. And I will point out that it is not considered positive publicity for a big company to persecute an innocent individual. As you can see from this link, I have already started this process: http://livingwithabroadintuscany.blogspot.com/2021/05/here-we-go-again-another-attempt-to.html

I hope to hear from you very soon and wish you the very best.
Paul Robert Spadoni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.